Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Silent Auction on Facebook

So, I thought of this great idea the other night. I have been spending many late nights getting prepared for our dinner and silent auction. While browsing for some instructions to sort of copy and print out for our live silent auction I came across a site that gave people the opportunity to mail or call in a bid beforehand. I thought, why not do something like that through Facebook? So here I am spending more late nights getting photos of the items and then the way people bid is under the comments of each photo.
I thought it would give people who aren't attending the dinner a chance to bid on the silent auction items as well. I'm not sure how it will go over yet. I'm afraid people are thinking it is just one more invitation to our dinner, since people are saying they are 'not attending'? Maybe those 'not attending' just don't care...or they didn't read what I was trying to do. Who knows maybe this will catch on and could work neat. The idea is that as more people comment, or even say they're attending, or invite others, the more it shows up in news feeds and the more exposure it gets.
Fundraising is hard work. With Social Networking we have an opportunity to use a unique media, but also run the risk of just annoying people. I'm not trying to do that, just trying to do what I can to get the support we need. Sometimes that comes from the unlikeliest people, like for instance, the 50 or so businesses that donated something (most of them complete strangers to us). Not all are called to adopt orphans, but all are called to care for the orphan. It is neat to see that desire rise up in people that may not even know the Lord.
So, if you actually read my blog, pray that this online auction idea would make sense to people. And pray that what God is doing through us and for us would be a blessing and testimony of His goodness to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment